Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sales is about the relationship

The other day the owner of one of our favorite restaurants in our little town left me a phone message just to say hi. She hadn’t seen us in awhile and just wanted to make sure that we were all ok.

My first thought was, how did she know my phone number? We’re friendly at the restaurant but that’s about the extent of it. And then it dawned on me that she kept my phone number when we’ve made reservations. There’s a smart business owner. She keeps as much information as she can about her regular customers.

Her concern was genuine and very much appreciated by me and my family. I called her right back and assured her that we were all ok, just busy. And I also made a reservation. One for this Friday when I’m taking two of my customers who just referred me for a bathroom job that I sold.

Do you call any of your past customers just to say hello? Do you stop to chat when you see a customer out on the street? Or at the mall? Or in church?

Selling is about making and maintaining relationships. It’s always been like that. Salespeople who can make those connections usually sell more. Why? It’s no mystery. Because people want to buy from those that they like!

No comments: