Thursday, July 17, 2008

Happy Customers Keep Coming Back

In the past month, I have replaced three cell phones for our remodeling company. The phones were old (at least two years old) and had worn out. It was time to upgrade. Of course, not all three phones went out at the same time! So I made three separate trips to my local Verizon store.

A problem developed with one of the new phones. The talk time was way too short for our Production Coordinator who uses her cell phone constantly throughout the day. She found herself re-charging the battery at least twice a day. She asked if there was anything that could be done to fix this problem.

So I took her phone back down to the local Verizon store. When I purchased the phone, the sales person told me about a 30 day exchange program. If we didn’t like the phone, bring it back within 30 days and they will exchange it for no charge other than the additional cost of the new phone, if any.

The problem was it was day 38.

I politely explained the situation to the store manager and asked what could be done to alleviate the problem.

To my surprise, he acknowledged that the 30 day limit had passed but, since I was a regular customer, he would make the exchange anyway. So I ended up buying a better phone.

Sometimes good customer service means bending the rules. Not a lot, just a little. Happy customers come back and tell their friends. Do what you can to keep your customers happy.

No comments: