Wednesday, July 8, 2009

This Week’s Key Indicator Report

This week’s Key Indicator Alert from Hanley Wood Market Intelligence is not a particularly positive report. Other than mentions of the slightly positive housing news from the last report, there is also mention of the higher unemployment rate (which I’m sure you have all heard about on the news). The positive spin is that we are losing fewer jobs. But the unemployment rate is still the highest it’s been since 1983. When I graduated from college in 1981, I remember looking in the Washington Post for a job in my field and finding one listing! What did I do? Stayed in the job I had during college until the recession was over.

The other news is that national average mortgage interest rates have declined this week. That may get more people into the housing market as fear of missing out on low rates could take hold. When rates were rising over the last couple of weeks, there were fewer refinance applications and fewer home purchases.

Be award that earnings season starts soon and the markets could show some volatility in the upcoming weeks.

Here's what you can do: Stay positive. And take positive action. I know it’s hard with all of the negativity surrounding us day in and day out. Take the time now to build your business skills. And keep moving forward.

No comments: